GB Athlete Craig McCann came to visit our school today. The event was organised by Sports 4 All UK Ltd.
The children had a fantastic time. Craig helped the children to complete a set of circuit-style exercises, he encouraged the children to complete as many as possible of each exercise in the space of one minute.
Craig then went on to hold a whole school assembly talking to the children about the life of an elite athlete, their training, competitions, achievements, etc. He spoke to the children about the trials and tribulations that come with the job and the importance of believing in oneself and never giving up even when injury or poor performance prevail. Finally Craig impressed upon the children the importance of healthy diets.
Craig gave a demonstration of his sport (fencing) and training exercises with help from some of the children. Finally the children had the opportunity to ask Craig questions.
The children have been working hard; raising funds through their sponsor forms, 60% of the money raised comes back to the school to spend on sports related equipment and activities for the school. The other 40% goes towards Sports 4 All UK to help fund athletes on route to Rio 2016.
Thank you to everyone who sponsored the children.